Welcome to my 6th Grade Literacy class page!
Welcome to my page! This is my fifth year teaching Literacy at Urbandale Middle School, and I’ve really loved having the opportunity to teach in a district that is so committed to seeing every single student grow and succeed! I grew up in Garner, a tiny town in northern Iowa. I received my Bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies from Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri. After a year of tutoring in a low-income school district in Missouri, I decided to return to school to become a Language Arts teacher by working on a Master of Arts in Teaching at Simpson College. I graduated from Simpson in 2013 and have been at Urbandale ever since! I currently live in Urbandale with my husband, Nate.
This year, I’m excited to get to know each of my students and to learn and grow together as we explore the areas of reading, writing, speaking, listening, and language and work toward the following learning requirements:
6th Grade Literacy Learning Requirements (as recommended by the Iowa Common Core):
1. Comprehend and analyze a variety of informational text (reading informational text)
2. Comprehend and analyze a variety of literature (reading literature)
3. Successfully make oral presentations to peers (speaking)
4. Write research-based text to increase and share information (writing – research)
5. Write narrative text to develop real or imagined experiences in a sequential way (writing – narrative)
6. Write informative/explanatory texts that teach a topic in a clear and organized way (writing – informative/explanatory)
7. Write and support opinion (writing – opinion/persuasive)
8. Use the writing process to publish text (writing – writing process)
9. Use appropriate grade level vocabulary and conventions in writing and speaking (language standards)
On this site, you will be able to find lots of important study tools and activities that we have been working on in sixth grade Literacy.
Please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns!