Timeline If Passes/Fails
Registered voters who live within the boundaries of the Urbandale Community School District are eligible to vote. A school referendum takes a super majority to pass which means 60% of voters must vote in favor of the proposed referendum. Anything less than 60% and the referendum fails.
Anticipated Timeline If Bond Passes
$59M Bond Referendum would provide funds to build two new elementary schools, build an addition to Webster Elementary or UHS as needed for enrollment growth, and accelerate the timeline for building a new high school fitness center. Passage of the bond referendum would optimize school resources, create equity throughout the district, enhance technology and security, and provide 21st century spaces and learning opportunities for all K-12 students.
Anticipated construction start dates and open dates:
- UHS Fitness Center—Spring 2019 Construction Begins; Fall 2020 Fitness Center Opens
- Elementary #1 (current Olmsted site)—Summer 2019 Construction Begins; Fall 2021 School Opens
- Elementary #2 (current Valerius site)—Summer 2023 Construction Begins; Fall 2025 School Opens
- Simultaneously continue completion of remaining PPEL projects at UMS and UHS.
Anticipated Timeline If Bond Fails
The existing plan is to renovate/remodel and build additions to the remaining four elementary schools as funds are available. At the current rate, this would take many years to complete all of the projects and unfortunately, we’d still have buildings and equipment that have exceeded their life cycles and do not meet the desired standards of 21st century schools.
Trying to retrofit existing buildings to 21st century schools would cost more than building two new schools and would still not address inequitable learning spaces, inefficiencies in operations, and limited resources/programming opportunities. In addition, when we forecast operating and maintenance costs over the next decade, it’s likely that at least one school would need to close.
Anticipated construction start dates include:
- Fall 2021 Elementary #2 remodel (school to be determined)
- Fall 2026 Elementary #3 remodel (school to be determined)
- Fall 2028 UHS Fitness Center
- Fall 2031 Elementary #4 remodel (school to be determined)
- Fall 2036 Elementary #5 remodel (school to be determined)
- As funds become available, continue completion of remaining PPEL projects at UMS and UHS.
Get Registered To Vote
- Who can vote in this election?
- Am I registered to vote in Iowa?
- Voter Registration Information
- Online Voter Registration
- Download a Voter Registration Form
- Register to Vote on Election Day
Download an official Absentee Ballot Request Form 2018.
Complete the form and mail to:
Jamie Fitzgerald, Polk County Auditor & Commissioner of Elections
Polk County Election Office
120 2nd Avenue—Suite A
Des Moines, IA 50309-4757
Please Note: Absentee ballot request forms must be received at the Polk County Auditor’s Office by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, January 26, 2018.