Kindergarten Registration 2017-2018
To be eligible for kindergarten a child must be 5 years old by September 15, 2017.
The Urbandale Community School District welcomes your kindergarten student! We take great care in creating a ‘culture of learning’ in our classrooms to help make the transition to kindergarten a positive experience for your child and family. Our focus is to help each child learn, grow, and achieve success on the pathway of lifelong learning. We can’t wait for the first day of school!
All elementary schools within the Urbandale district will provide full-day kindergarten programs:
- Jensen, Karen Acres, Valerius, and Webster Elementary start and dismissal times: 8:55 a.m. to 3:35 p.m
- Rolling Green and Olmsted Elementary start and dismissal times: 9:05 a.m. to 3:45 p.m
Please note: The Traditional Calendar is followed by all schools except Rolling Green. Rolling Green follows a Flexible Calendar (year-round school). Click here to view calendars for all UCSD schools.
Register your child for kindergarten!
If you need help determining which school your child would attend, please contact the Administration Office at (515) 457-5000 and we will be happy to help you.
The following forms are needed to begin
registration of your student
1. Kindergarten Registration Form (required)
Please complete the registration form below (the forms are in English, Spanish and Bosnian).
- Registration Doc_Fill In Blanks_ 1.14.16(Opens as a Word doc; type directly on form) (English)
- Registration Document 1.14.16(Opens as a Word doc; print and write directly on form) (English)
- Registration Document Spanish 1.14.16(Spanish/English)
- Registration Document Bosnian_ 1.14.16(Bosnian)
2. Proof of Birth (required)
Please provide a copy of your child’s State Certified Record of Birth (Birth Certificate) or I-94.
3. Proof of Residency (required)
Please provide a copy of one of these documents as proof of residency:
- A copy of a Settlement Agreement (with all signatures)
- Purchase Agreement (including date of occupancy and all signatures)
- Mortgage Statement
- MidAmerican Power Bill
- Urbandale Water Bill
- Lease Agreement (if renting)
- United States Postal Service Verification of Address (paper copy)
4. Immunization Record (required)
Please provide a copy of your child’s most recent immunization record to the School Nurse by May 1, 2017.
5. Home Language Survey (required)
Please complete the Home Language Survey form and turn it in with your other registration documents.
6. Student Race and Ethnicity Survey (required)
Please complete this Student Race and Ethnicity Reporting form.
7. Migrant Education Parent Form (required)
Your answers will help determine if your child(ren) is eligible to receive supplemental services from the Migrant Program.
Please provide these documents to the District Administration Office, Attention: Sandy Walters. This will complete the Pre-Registration portion of the enrollment process.
Completing Enrollment For Your Student
Once the above documents have been received, the Student Data Manager/Registrar will enter all kindergarten registration information into our online registration system. That process will be completed by the end of April/early May. Shortly thereafter, you will receive an email and/or letter that contains instructions and a “SnapCode” for your kindergarten student. With your “SnapCode” handy, please login to InfoSnap as directed and create an account to complete the online portion of registration for your kindergarten student. (If you have an older sibling in the district, you may login with the account you have already created.) You will receive confirmation at the end of the online program that your student’s registration has been completed. If you have email, you should also receive an email confirmation.
Additional Required Documents Needed
In order to help streamline the registration process for your child to start kindergarten, it is preferred that we receive the documents noted below by May 1, 2017. If you have these documents completed earlier, please bring them to your child’s school or the District Administration Office. These are required documents for your child to attend kindergarten.
- Physical Form
Regular physical exams are recommended. Please provide a copy of your child’s most recent physical.
- Blood Lead Test
A Blood Lead Test is required by Iowa law prior to age 6 and before enrolling in an elementary school. Please have your physician provide you a copy of the lab results.
- Dental Screening Certificate
A Dental Screening should be obtained between the ages of 3 and 6 years and is required by Iowa law. Please have your dentist fill out the dental screening certificate. The following are also permitted to complete the dental screening and certificate: MD/DO, PA, RDH, RN/ARNP.
- Certificate of Immunization
The District would prefer to receive your child’s immunization records by May 1. If you have any questions, please contact Sandy Walters at email@example.com or (515) 457-5011.
Immunization Clinic List (Immunization Clinics for your reference.)
- Severe Allergy Questionnaire Required for Preschool & Elementary Students if have a known food allergy.
- Vision Screening Certificate
A Vision Screening is required. Please return this Vision Screening Certificate to your child’s school upon completion.
Please review the ‘Parent Checklist for Kindergarten Registration’ and the ‘Kindergarten Health Information Checklist” included below as helpful guides to know when all forms are due:
- Parent Checklist for Kindergarten Registration_English
- Kindergarten Health Information Checklist_English
- Parent Checklist for Kindergarten Registration_Bosnian
- Kindergarten Health Information Checklist_Bosnian
- Parent Checklist for Kindergarten Registration_Spanish
- Kindergarten Health Information Checklist_Spanish
Kindergarten students must be residents of the Urbandale Community School District or file the appropriate paperwork. Please see the section of our website about Open Enrollment if you do not live within district boundaries. We look forward to welcoming your student and family this fall!
Adventuretime Before & After Care
Adventuretime Family Services provides the following programs across the Urbandale Community School District for preschool through 5th grade students:
- Before/After School programs are offered at all six elementary schools
- All-Day programs (In-service, recess, or no school days)
- Summer Program
- Three and Four-Year Old Preschool
Visit the Adventuretime site for full information!
Program Hours of Operation
6:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. at Jensen, Karen Acres, Valerius and Webster
6:30 a.m. – 9:05 a.m. at Olmsted and Rolling Green
6:30 a.m. – 9:50 a.m. Late Starts at Jensen, Karen Acres, Valerius and Webster
6:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Late Starts at Olmsted and Rolling Green
3:35 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at Jensen, Karen Acres, Valerius and Webster
3:45 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. at Olmsted and Rolling Green
6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. All Day and Summer Programs
Adventuretime Contact Information
Office Hours: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Director: Ashley Myers – firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Director: Kellie Dickinson – email@example.com
Office Staff: Deb Roetker (accounting) firstname.lastname@example.org
Judy Wyner (clerical)
Office Address: 7110 Prairie Avenue, Urbandale, IA 50322
Office Phone: 515-457-5855
This is a list of childcare centers and preschools that have worked with Urbandale kindergarten students in the past. We are offering this information as a service to parents. Parents will need to make their own child care arrangements.
America’s Children of Oakmoor
4731 Merle Hay Road
Des Moines, IA 50322
3054 86th Street
Urbandale, IA 50322
First Assembly of God
2725 Merle Hay Road
Des Moines, IA 50310
2500 128th Street
Urbandale, IA 50323
Tiny Treasures Preschool
8301 Aurora Avenue
Urbandale, IA 50322
3802 92nd Avenue
Urbandale, IA 50322
Safety City is a week-long summer program for children entering kindergarten in the fall of 2017. Children will learn about traffic safety, fire safety, home, playground and other kinds of personal safety in an entertaining, positive environment. Students also become comfortable with a school building in preparation for kindergarten. To learn more about the program and how to register, view this PDF: Safety City 2017
- Welcome to Kindergarten (A great booklet for you and your child to review together!)
- Special Education, English Language Learners and Title 1
- Parent Teacher Organization
Administrative Assistant to Student Services and Special Education
Phone: (515) 457-5007
Fax: (515) 457-5018
Student Data Manager
Phone: (515) 457-5011
Fax: (515) 457-5018