1014 – Media Broadcasts on School Premises
Conditions. Licensed media organizations may be allowed to video and/or audio tape and to broadcast performances or contests on school facilities when the following conditions are met:
- The use does not interfere with the District’s educational and activity program.
- The use is consistent with state and federal law and conforms to District regulations.
- The media organization is responsible and exercises care in the use of the facilities.
- No alcoholic beverages, controlled substances, substance paraphernalia, or look-alike substances are available or used on District property. Smoking and use of tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, are also prohibited on District property.
- The activity is confined to the areas designated, and no school equipment or supplies are used except as approved in advance.
- No District property is altered, moved or rearranged without District approval.
- A written Application and Agreement to Broadcast is executed and approval is received in advance through the Superintendent or designee.
- Fees are paid in advance if requested.
- A liability insurance certificate is provided in advance if requested.
- The media organization shall be responsible for paying for any damage or destruction to any school facilities or equipment due to its activities at the school facilities.
- The media organization shall indemnify and hold the District, its officers, directors, employees and agents harmless from any claims, damages or charges arising from its use of the school facilities and/or equipment or the activities of the media organization.
Application and Arrangements. A written Application and Agreement to Broadcast must be executed by the media organization and approved by the Superintendent or designee. If the Superintendent or designee denies the request, the media organization may appeal by using the Complaint Procedure specified in Policy 229, starting at the Superintendent’s level. The Board reserves the right to withdraw approval.
Date of Adoption: February 6, 2017
Legal References: Chapter 123.46, Chapter 142B, 278.1(4), 279.8, 279.8A, 280.13B, 297.9, 297.10, 297.11, 721.2(5), Code of Iowa
URBANDALE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS