507 – School Building Assignments
The board will have complete discretion to determine the boundaries for each attendance center and to assign students to the attendance centers.
Resident Students. All resident students shall attend the school building in the building attendance area in which they reside, as designated by the Board of Directors, except that:
- The administration may assign students to another building to adjust class size.
- The administration may assign a student to another building for the educational benefit of the student.
- If a student’s residence is changed to another building attendance area in the District during the school year, the student may complete the school year at the building he/she was attending, provided the administrative staff approves the arrangements made by the parents or guardians for transportation and attendance.
- If a student’s residence will change during the school year to another building attendance area in the District, the student may start the school year in the building of his/her new residence, provided a letter is received from a realtor or other person verifying the family owns, has signed a valid offer to buy, or has signed a rental agreement for a residence in the new building attendance area and the administrative staff approves the arrangements made by the parents or guardians for transportation and attendance.
- The administration may assign students to a building outside of the attendance area that has unique programming for the benefit of the student.
- Parents or guardians of siblings in the same grade level academically in grades kindergarten through grade five may request the siblings be placed in the same or different classrooms. In order to be valid, the request must be made in writing and submitted to the school principal at the time of registration for classes, or within fourteen days after the children’s first day of attendance during the school year. If a valid request is received by the school principal, the request must be honored. While a parent or guardian may make a placement request that siblings be placed together or apart, the district administration retains complete discretion to select the classroom teacher(s) to which siblings are assigned. If after the initial grading period following the placement of siblings in the same or different classrooms the school principal determines the placement is disruptive to the class; the principal may assign one or more of the siblings to different classrooms.
Nonresident Students. All nonresident students shall attend the school building as assigned by the administration.
Date of Revision: September 23, 2019
Cross Reference: 508 Attendance Requirements
Legal References: 279.8, 279.11, 280.3, 280.14, 282.18, Code of Iowa; 281 I.A.C. 17.6(4)
URBANDALE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS