547 – Parent and Family Engagement
Parent and family engagement is an important component in a student’s success in school. The District encourages parents and families to become involved in their child’s education to ensure the child’s academic success.
The District will:
1. Involve parents and families in the development of the Title I plan, the process for school review of the plan and the process for improvement;
- Post plan on the District website and invite public comment
- Review plan at SIAC and solicit feedback
2. Provide the coordination, technical assistance and other support necessary to assist and build the capacity of all participating schools in planning and implementing effective parent and family involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance;
- Administrative professional development and support
- PTO support
3. To the extent feasible, coordinate and integrate parent and family engagement strategies under Title I with parent and family engagement strategies outlined in other relevant Federal, State, and local laws and programs;
- Attend annual Department of Education trainings and employee strategies
4. Conduct with the involvement of parents and family members, an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of the parent and family engagement policy in improving the academic quality of the school served including identifying barriers to greater participation by parents in Title I activities (with particular attention to low-income parents, Limited English Proficient (LEP) parents, parents of any racial or ethnic minority, parents with disabilities and parents with limited literacy);
- Annual survey of parents addressing barriers, needs, and strategies
5. Use the findings of the annual evaluation to design strategies for more effective parent and family engagement and to revise, as necessary, the parent and family engagement policies;
- Use parent feedback to inform plan revisions
6. Involve parents and families in Title I activities;
- Building reading nights; providing childcare if possible
7. Provide notice of qualification for Title services and school/parent compact in parent’s home language. Notice should include assistance in understanding standards, links to materials and training, the right to be involved in programs and activities, the right to regular meetings, and information about curriculum and assessments being used.
The Title I Plan will include how the District will address the requirement of Title I Parent and Family Engagement. The Board will review this policy annually or as otherwise required by law. The Superintendent or Title I supervisor is responsible for notifying parents and families of this policy annually or within a reasonable time after it has been amended during the school year. The Superintendent or Title I supervisor may develop an administrative process or procedures to implement this policy.
Date of Adoption: July 15, 2019
Legal References: 20 U.S.C. §6318
446 Personnel Involvement in Decision-making
601 Statement of Guiding Principals
URBANDALE COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD OF DIRECTORS