SF496 Book Log
NOTICE: The list below contains books believed to violate Senate File 496 that are part of the Urbandale Schools library collection; the list will be updated as needed. SF496 Requires: K-12 Library and classroom libraries have materials that are consistent with educational standards, with age-appropriate materials (defined below), and support student achievement goals. Age appropriate means topics, messages, and teaching methods suitable to particular ages or age groups of children and adolescents, based on developing cognitive, emotional, and behavioral capacity typical for the age or age group. Age-appropriate does not include any material with descriptions or visual depictions of a sex act as defined in section 702.17.
Section 702.17 Sex act. The term “sex act” or “sexual activity” means any sexual contact between two or more persons by any of the following:
- Penetration of the penis into the vagina or anus.
- Contact between the mouth and genitalia or mouth and anus or by contact between the genitalia of one person and the genitalia or anus of another person.
- Contact between the finger, hand, or other body part of one person and the genitalia or anus of another person, except in the course of examination or treatment by a person licensed pursuant to chapter 148, 148C, 151, or 152.
- Ejaculation onto the person of another.
- By use of artificial sexual organs or substitutes therefore in contact with the genitalia or anus.
- The touching of a person’s own genitals or anus with a finger, hand, or artificial sexual organ or other similar device at the direction of another person.