We’re often asked why we have late starts every Monday, and just what is professional learning? In education, we often use the terms staff development, professional learning and in-service education interchangeably. Just as in any profession, it is important that educators have ongoing professional learning to improve their skills and address student learning needs.
Iowa Administrative Code 281.23.7 outlines public school district requirements for high-quality professional learning. Monday late starts is how we fulfill this requirement.
In addition staff are required to complete, specific trainings and renewals upon hire and/or annually. Mandatory Trainings
Duties of the Teacher Quality Committee
- Monitor the local implementation of the Teacher Quality program.
- Following the Iowa Professional Development Model, determine the use and distribution of professional development funds.
- Monitor the professional development in each attendance center to ensure that professional development meets the school district, agency, attendance center, and individual professional development plans.
- Monitor the district teacher evaluation requirements to ensure they are conducted in a fair and consistent manner throughout the school district or agency.
- Ensure the agreement negotiated pursuant to Chapter 20 determine the compensation for teachers on the committee for work responsibilities required beyond the normal workday.
Senate file 277 (SF277), passed in 2007, requires each district and AEA to create a teacher quality committee with equal representation of administrators and teachers. The committee must function under the Iowa Open Meetings Law or Iowa Code Chapter 21. This includes conforming to the requirements regarding the timelines related to postings of meeting agendas, retention of official minutes and records.
Brandon Schrauth – Director of Teaching and Learning
Anna Taggart – Principal Webster
Dania Wilson – Principal Rolling Green
Loren DeKruyf – Director of Human Resources and Operations
Johanna Russell – Dean of Students Urbandale High School
Janine Choudhury – Teacher Urbandale Middle School
Janelle Kerr – Teacher Olmsted Elementary
Maggie Hockenberry – Karen Acres Elementary
Cathy Lewis – Teacher Urbandale Middle School
Deena Stanley – Dostart – Teacher Urbandale High School
The TQSA Committee will hold meetings on the following Wednesdays from 4:00 to 5:00 PM in the AO1 Training Room
- September 6, 2023
- November 1, 2023
- December 6, 2023
- February 7, 2024
- May 1, 2024