Parent University Begins September 20Created on September 14th, 2022
We are excited to launch a new program, Parent University, in the 2022-23 school year. Through this program, parents/guardians will have the opportunity to participate in workshops and informational sessions as well as receive resources to help you support your child in their learning. All UCSD parents/guardians are welcome to attend these free sessions.
SAVE THE DATES
Parent University is scheduled to take place on the following dates:
- September 20, 2022
- October 18, 2022
- February 21, 2023
April 18, 2023Please note: The Parent University night scheduled for April 18, 2023 has been cancelled.
Parent University consists of two sessions. The first session runs from 6:00 – 6:45 p.m. and the second session runs from 7:00 – 7:45 p.m. There are a total of 10 topics to select from for each session. Parents/guardians are able to select one topic they’d like to attend for session one and select a second topic they’d like to attend for session two. Topics will be the same for session one and session two (i.e. the content from a topic in session one will be repeated in session two). Ideas for topics were generated from feedback received in the parent/staff survey as well as by the UCSD School Improvement Advisory Committee (SIAC).
TOPICS FOR SEPTEMBER 20, 2022
- School Board Listening Post: Question and Answer session with two School Board members.
- Superintendent Listening Post: Question and Answer session with Superintendent Dr. Daca.
- Safety and Security: Learn about district safety and security plans and protocols.
- Supporting Technology: Learn about Classlink, Canvas, Seesaw, and PowerSchool.
- Grading for Learning: Learn the “Why, What, and How” of Grading for Learning in UCSD.
- Elementary Student Support: Learn tips to help your child develop habits to set them up for success for a new school year and beyond. Collaborate with other parents on ways to support teachers and learning at home.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Elementary: Learn how the school counselor supports social emotional instruction in elementary schools by gaining an understanding of learning expectations for grade levels and example lessons that are taught with tips for use at home.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Middle School: Learn how depression and anxiety may impact adolescents as well as warning signs. Learn about resources available to support students and families in these areas.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) High School: Learn how depression and anxiety may impact adolescents as well as warning signs. Learn about resources available to support students and families in these areas.
- Facilitator of Family Outreach (FFO)/Counselor Drop-in: A member of our FFO team will be available to answer questions about district and community resources.
RSVP BY SEPTEMBER 13, 2022
Please take a moment to RSVP for the Parent University sessions and topics you plan on attending on September 20, 2022. We will be hosting Parent University at Urbandale High School on September 20. Your RSVP will help us to ensure we have the appropriate space, seating, and audio visual requirements. Please RSVP by September 13, 2022.