Parent University October 18: Register Today!Created on October 13th, 2022
Interested in learning more about grading, bullying, social media, social emotional learning, technology, or how to apply for scholarships and financial aid for college? How about talking directly with the Superintendent and School Board members? Then register today for Parent University on October 18. All UCSD parents/guardians are welcome to attend these free sessions.
TOPICS FOR OCTOBER 18, 2022
- School Board & Superintendent Listening Post: You are invited to join the Superintendent and two School Board members to discuss topics of interest. This is a session guided by the participants.
- Safety & Security—Bullying & Social Media: Bullying is the unwanted repeated aggressive behavior by someone in a position of power. This session will outline what bullying is through the lens of Iowa Administrative Code, Urbandale district policy, and law enforcement.
- Supporting Technology: This session will support 6th-12th grade families with how to use PowerSchool as a tool to engage with what is happening at school.
- Grading for Learning: This session will expand on the why and what of grading for learning. Participants will learn more about how grades are determined and what it means to be proficient.
- Social Emotional Learning—Supporting Your Elementary Student: Elementary students have access to Social Emotional Learning throughout their school day. This session will provide resources to families that may need access to more mental health support for students.
- Social Emotional Learning—Supporting Your Middle or High School Student: Middle and high school students are being pulled in so many directions. From school to academics, social media to relationships, the life of a teenager can be stressful. This session will focus on ways to support middle and high school students through academics, various activities, and busy social lives.
- College Prep—FAFSA & Scholarships: This session will discuss the procedure and information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) which is used to apply for federal student aid such as federal grants, work study and student/parent loans. (Note: You must complete the FAFSA between October 1 – June 30.)
- Facilitator of Family Outreach: A member of the FFO (Facilitator of Family Outreach) team will be available to answer questions about district and community resources.
Please take a moment to register for the Parent University sessions and topics you plan on attending. We will be hosting Parent University at Urbandale High School on October 18. Enter through the west door by the baseball field (map below). Your registration will help us to ensure we have the appropriate space, seating, and audio visual requirements. Please register here.
Parent University consists of two sessions. The first session runs from 6:00 – 6:45 p.m. and the second session runs from 7:00 – 7:45 p.m. There are a total of eight topics to select from for each session. Parents/guardians are able to select one topic they’d like to attend for session one and select a second topic they’d like to attend for session two. Topics will be the same for session one and session two (i.e. the content from a topic in session one will be repeated in session two). Ideas for topics were generated from feedback received in the parent/staff survey as well as by the UCSD School Improvement Advisory Committee (SIAC).
SAVE THE DATES
Parent University is scheduled to take place on the following upcoming dates:
- February 21, 2023
- April 18, 2023