Urbandale Schools implements comprehensive, balanced, and equitable assessment systems that varies on a continuum of frequency, purpose, and outcomes. The assessment system informs planning for instruction, provides evidence of learning, and guides strategic planning.
Our District Assessment Vision:
Urbandale schools will bring learning to life by engaging every student in meaningful cycles of learning and assessment to affirm progress and inform actions towards achieving grade level goals.
Our Assessment Mindsets:
Mindset #1: Assessments should be purposeful and embedded.
Mindset #2: Assessment should be equitable.
Mindset #3: Assessment should be efficient.
Types of Assessments
Formative Assessment – these are short-cycle assessments (happen frequently) in the classroom whose purpose is instructional.
Screening/Benchmark Assessment – these mid-cycle assessments (3x a year) whose purpose is to predict proficiency.
Summative Assessment – these are cycle assessments (end of a course or grade level) whose purpose is evaluative.
We administer the following standardized assessments.
- PreK GOLD
- K-1 FAST Early Reading (Universal Screener)
- K FAST Early Math (Universal Screener)
- 2nd-12th FAST aReading (Adaptive Universal Screener)
- 2nd-3rd CBM-r (Universal Screener) (Default Screener)
- 1st-12th Grade FAST aMath (Adaptive Universal Screener)
- K-5 SAEBRS (Social Emotional Universal Screener)*
- 6th-12th mySAEBRS (Social Emotional Screener)*
- 3-11 Iowa Statewide Assessment of Student Progress (ISASP) (Summative & Required)
- English Language Proficiency Assessment (ELPA 21)
- Dynamic Learning Maps for students on Alternative Assessment
* Active Parental/Guardian consent required and obtained during registration.